IdeaLabs Group Leader Help Page
Dear IdeaLabs Group Leaders,
Welcome to your new IdeaLabs site at idealabs.berkeley.edu! Please use this help page to populate the site with your group's content.
Site Log-In & Permissions
1. Acquire a Log-In ID & Password: In order to modify or add content to your group's page, you will need an authenticated log-in. Each Group Leader will be emailed Usernames and Passwords for site access.
2. Permissions--Authenticated Group Leader Log-Ins have the following permissions:
- Create events, and edit their own events.
- Access and post comments (when comments are enabled on an item)
- Access site content
- Create IdeaLab member profiles, edit their own profiles
- Create IdeaLab projects, edit their own projects
- Create page content, edit their own pages
- Create & Edit Recommended Reading content
- Create URL Aliases
LOG-IN SECURITY: It will be left to the Group Leaders to distribute the access information. Be aware that the group leader to whom the information is emailed becomes responsible for any content added or edited under that Log-In.
Current Site Components
1. Homepage: The homepage currently consists of a main site banner (top of page), a general description of IdeaLabs, and then short descriptions of each IdeaLab in alphabetical order accompanied by small logo pictures. This is a static HTML page and can be edited by site administrators.
2. Individual Site Pages: Currently, the individual site homepages have very little content (usually consisting of "[IdeaLab Name] mission, goals, etc."). These are static HTML pages that can be edited by group leaders to create any kind of page.
If a group member has knowledge/experience of creating HTML code, then they can design their site according to their group's needs. To learn some basic codes simply try typing "HTML codes" into Google for a variety of basic HTML code tutorials and resources. Otherwise, site admins can meet with groups to set up a basic layout.
For an example of a more complete page, see the POC-Dx homepage with the slideshow embedded.
3. Individual Site Menus: Site menus are designed to automatically organize each groups content.
For example, if you add a Member Profile and select "Berkeley Water Group" as the associated "IdeaLab Group", then that profile will appear on the page linked to the "Member Profiles" menu item on the Berkeley Water Group Page.
For an example of what profiles will look like, refer to POC-Dx again.
Adding Site Content: The site has been designed to enable group leaders and members to easily add content that will be automatically organized by type and group.
1. To add or update Fill-Out-the-Form Content (News, Events, Member Profiles, Recommended Reading Items, Projects or Links):
1. Select the ">Create Content" option from the menu at the bottom of the page.Or click here to Create Content
2. Choose the appropriate content type from the list.
3. Fill out relevant fields on the form. Note that only fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required.
4. Be sure to select the your group's name from the IdeaLab Group drop-down menu to ensure that your group's content appears on your group's page under the appropriate menu item.
5. If you choose to insert HTML code into the main description field of a form, be sure to expand the ">Input Format" option just below the description field and select the "Full HTML" option.
2. If you would prefer a static page instead of automatically categorized content, email Mia at IdeaLabsAdmin@gmail.com
Please be aware that the site is flexible. If you would like to change the way any component is displayed, or add/remove components, or for any other questions, comments or concerns simply email site administratior Mia Yamauchi at (IdeaLabsAdmin@gmail.com).